Saturday 28 December 2013

027: The Many Tears Shed Thanks to John Green

My little sister was given a book for Christmas. She read it in the back seat of my car as we drove to Christmas lunch. By the time we arrived at my grandparents, she was balling her eyes out.

I did what any compassionate and caring older sister would do. I stole the book off her.

That evening, I was crying too.

We read John Greens "The Fault In Our Stars" and he deserved every tear shed.

Following the relationship of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Walters, two cancer patients, Green creates a love story that made me laugh, cry but also think.

I had not previously read anything by Green and was sorely disappointed that I was unable to fall in love with his writing when I was a teenager, sadly, he will have to have my love as a young adult. I am very picky when it comes to giving affection to writers as I often find more faults than virtues, but Green writing was near perfect - aside from taking a while to adapt to a female narrators voice, but I am willing to over look this as the single fault. His writing is smart and quite literary but it was the right combination of laughs and tears. I highly, highly recommend his writing, although I know I am not the only one.

  Kathleen x

No comments:

Post a Comment